martedì 22 luglio 2014

Interview with Olivia Broderick, young American singer and student at Istituto Europeo

Olivia Broderick
interview by Ilaria Gelichi



Olivia tell us something about yourself: how old are you, where do you come from…

I’m Olivia Broderick, I come from New Jersey, USA and I’m 17 years old. I’m an high school student and an opera singer.

How was the passion for music born?

Since I was a child. I started singing musical theatre songs and as my voice grew I just naturally got more into classical music and listening to it more and that’s how I’ve fallen in love with it.

How did you find Istituto Europeo?

I was looking on the internet for language programs in Italy that also maybe included music, I found Istituto Europeo and… here I am!

Which courses are you attending at IE?

I’m doing first level Italian and vocal technique with Monica. Then Italian diction with Valeria and Repertoire with Francesca. I really enjoy the courses and I feel like I’m improving a lot: all the teachers are incredibly gifted and they really know what they are talking about, which is good.

Are there any differences between studying music in the USA and in Italy?

As always it depends on the teacher but the teachers that I’ve gone to, there’s not a big difference.

What do you like most of Italy – and of Florence particularly?

Well, Florence is beautiful, there’s so much art everywhere. All the museums are great, even the buildings are beautiful, which is nice. What I like about Florence is that there is art everywhere.

Would you recommend this program to a friend?

Yes, I think I would. If they were looking to study this sort of things and take it seriously, then yes I would.

In your opinion, what is the best quality to be a good singer?

I think the most important quality for being a good singer would be to really love what you are singing. If you are passionate about what you are doing, that would drive you to work hard and this will make you improve. The audience would also be more invested in what you are singing because it’s coming from your heart and not just repeating lines on a page.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento